St Michael’s is a church school and our Christian values are hugely important to us. They are the starting point for our school policies, as well as for our interactions with each other.
At St Michael’s all the adults work together as a team, to give the children the best possible primary school experience. The teachers are totally committed to creating inspiring, enjoyable and effective ways to learn. All the adults who work in the school firmly believe that, if children feel cared for in their school environment, they will be able to flourish. Building on this solid foundation, they provide a rich curriculum that prepares the children well for each stage of their educational journey – Foundation Stage assessments, Year 1 phonics check, end of Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 SATs and secondary school. More than that – we aim to provide an education for wisdom that will serve our children well as adults.
In April 2015 Church School Inspectors considered the school to be an ‘outstanding’ Church of England school. In April 2017 Ofsted agreed with the school’s self-evaluation that, not only is St Michael’s a ‘good’ school but that ‘children have an exceptionally good start to their learning’. The inspector agreed that our vision and development plans provide the platform for working towards ‘outstanding’ at our next inspection. We were particularly pleased that the inspector noticed how ‘pupils… demonstrate an infectious excitement for the learning’, how ‘children in the early years are exceptionally keen and focused in their learning’ and how the whole staff of the school create an ‘impressive’ ‘environment for learning.’ Please do take some time to read the full report under the Statutory Information tab of this website.
Our children flourish in the calm beauty of the St Michael’s conservation area, in the heart of Roman Verulamium, right next to the park, with access to a large paddock for sport and play.
The youngest children in the school now have their own dedicated place to eat and play at lunch time, in our recently opened new dining hall at the Lower School. The new building is entirely in keeping with the old Victorian School while providing modern internal facilities. We have recently received planning permission to build 2 new classrooms at Top School, which will enable the school, for the first time, to take 30 children into our Reception Class in September 2018. It is an exciting time to be part of St Michael’s!
I hope you enjoy looking at our website. If you are considering choosing St Michael’s as the school for your child, please visit our ‘Admissions’ page for further information and to arrange a visit to our wonderful school. No matter how hard I try to put it into words, you will only gain a true picture of all that makes St Michael’s such a special place when you come to visit us and meet everyone. Please read on to find out what our pupils and their parents say about St Michael’s.
I look forward to meeting you soon.
When asked what they liked about their school, the children said:
- It is small and friendly, everyone knows each other
- We don’t have any bullying. If someone is unkind we tell a teacher and they solve the problem
- We have lots of friends
- The Year 6 children are buddies for the younger children
- We stand out because we know what is right and what is wrong
- Even though we are a small school we take part in sports events to represent St Michael’s
- We take part in outside events, like Maths competitions
- We believe in team work
- We all believe in ourselves – our motto is ‘We believe we can achieve’
- The teachers are always there when we need them
- Even though we are young we can make wise decisions
- We learn from our mistakes
- There is trust amongst the children and the adults
- We all care for each other
- The teachers are fun!
(Collective Worship 7 July 2017)
When asked what they like about St Michael’s, this is what our parents said:
- The school has the same values and standards I would have at home
- Good Christian values
- Our children have been very happy and been given confidence in their own skills and interests
- The assemblies are very impressive and a good indication of discipline and respect.
- My children are my most precious assets and I know they are well cared for here.
- Good education – broad and varied
- It’s very personable, well run and all the teachers are very approachable
- The children help each other, there’s a sense of belonging and safety
- The staff team is strong and work hard.
- The small nurturing size and the Christian ethos
- It is just a lovely school with a lovely atmosphere. It is a small, friendly school with a fabulous PTA and lots of great events.
(Parent questionnaire October 2017)